3/12/10

Rediscover the Gift of Reconciliation- A note from Father Kastl

WORDS FROM FR. KASTL
As a priest, one of the things I most enjoy is hearing confessions. Some people may think this weird, but I feel, outside of celebrating Mass, it is one of the most important things a priest can do. Standing as a conduit between heaven and earth, the priest listens, counsels and then “through the ministry of the Church” absolves the sins that divide us and separate us from the love of God and neighbor.

Many people ask me what it’s like to listen to every sin under the sun. I can honestly say it’s a privilege. In the Sacrament of Reconciliation, the priest has an intimate encounter with a humanity that is both broken, yet redeemable. To witness people who are old and young, rich and poor face the struggles, the crosses of their lives head on, to witness people thriving in the face of suffering and joy, to witness people’s willingness to pick up their crosses each day affirms my belief in an all loving, all caring God who pours his abundant grace into our lives so that we may be strengthened in our pursuit to live as authentic Christian disciples.

If you have been away from confession for many years, I encourage you to reconnect with this beautiful sacrament of mercy and forgiveness. Know that the priest will be kind and gentle with you no matter how big or small your sin is, no matter how long it has been since your last confession.

Let us as a community of faith truly fulfill God’s command that we may all be reconciled to Himself and one another!
Fr. Kastl

CONFESSION SCHEDULE
Saturday, March 13th 4:00-4:45 PM
Wednesday, March 17th 5:30-6:30 PM
Saturday, March 20th 4:00-4:45 PM
Wednesday, March 24th 5:30-6:30 PM
Saturday, March 27th 4:00-4:45 PM
Wednesday, March 31st 5:30-6:30 PM
Friday, April 2nd 3:30-4:30 PM
Or by appointment with one of the priests

EXAMINATION OF CONSCIENCE
With regard to God
*Do I pray enough, and when I do pray, do I give my full attention and reverence to my prayer?
*Am I fully reverent in church? Do I distract others in prayer?
*Do I pay proper attention to my daily prayers, even the small ones like Grace before Meals, prayer before class, etc.?
*Do I use God's name outside of my prayers?
*Are any of the jokes I tell lacking in reverence?
*Am I making sufficient effort to get to know God better and give Him the proper place in my life?
With regard to others
*Am I unkind or cruel to others in thought, word or deed?
*Do I harbor dislikes of other people, or envy them for something?
*Am I thoughtful enough and helpful and patient with others?
*Do I take away people's characters, telling stories, true or false, about them?
*If I have taken away a person's character, have I tried to restore it?
*Am I really obedient to those over me and the laws they make?
*Do I spoil my obedience by being slow, unwilling or sulky about it?
*Am I disrespectful towards my parents, elder brothers and sisters, teachers and those to whom I owe respect? Do I talk about them, when they are present or absent?
*Do I give bad examples to others in any way?
*Am I sufficiently thoughtful to those who need me in a special way - the sick, the old, do I play my part in helping people?
*Do I obey the rules and laws of the school, office, country?
With regard to myself
*Am I a show-off, conceited and proud?
*Am I out for my own ends only - selfish, and sulky when I don't get my own way?
*Do I keep myself fully occupied and therefore prevent temptation?
*Am I greedy and ungenerous - thoughtless of others?
*Am I angry or impatient with others, insufficiently controlled?
*Have I deliberately thought or said anything impure or really vulgar?
*Have I failed to stop reading something bad for me, or watching unsuitable TV?
*Have any of my actions been in the slightest way impure?
*Have I joined with others in sin, or given bad example?

*Am I truthful in every way, or do I exaggerate to make myself bigger in the eyes of others? Have I cheated in any way, been dishonest?
*Have I stolen anything or borrowed without permission?
*Have I made restitution for anything I have taken in the past?
*Am I a good companion to others?

HOW TO GO TO CONFESSION

Enter the confessional and either kneel down behind the screen or sit in the chair across from the priest.
Make the sign of the cross.
Say, “Bless me father for I have sinned, it has been___ since my last confession and these are my sins.”
Confess your sins.
The priest will then respond to your confession and give you a penance.
The priest will ask you to make an act of contrition. You may use a printed version or make one up on your own.
After praying the act of contrition the priest will offer you the words of absolution.
The priest will then invite you to go in peace!

ACT OF CONTRITION

My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good,  I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin. Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us. In His name, my God, have mercy. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your name when you comment! We like to know who you are!